A great article from the Global Trade Review analysing "Hin Leong’s “vicious cycle” of trade finance fraud". It's difficult to pick up outright fraud when reading financial statements, and I am not sure there is any fault to lay at the feet of the accounting standards. I would recommend reading.

"One example from this year details what happened to a cargo on board a vessel travelling from Tanjung Pelepas in Malaysia to Rotterdam in the Netherlands. ... According to PwC, the same individual cargo appears to have been involved in several separate transactions running in parallel. First, in mid-March, Hin Leong agreed to sell 780,000 barrels of ultra-low sulphur diesel to Unipec, supported by a letter of credit issued by Crédit Agricole. 

Later in the month, the company obtaining financing from Société Générale to sell 780,000 barrels of oil to trading giant Glencore, which would be re-purchased immediately by Hin Leong. In that case, letters of credit supporting the two transactions were issued by Rabobank and DBS Bank. Around the same time, Hin Leong also agreed to sell a similar cargo, on board the same vessel, to Trafigura. The cargo would be sold on to Winson Oil, then re-purchased by Hin Leong. In that case letters of credit were issued by Natixis and OCBC Bank, though details of the Trafigura-Winson sale are not known."

Not what I would class as a finance book, but one I would highly recommend to all professionals. "Deep Work" by Cal Newport is all about the ability to focus without distraction on a cognitively demanding task. And it's a skill that most people have lost—spending their days instead in a frantic blur of e-mail and social media. It has really changed the way I structure my work days. He also has a great book called "So Good They Can't Ignore You" which I wish had been around when I started my working life. There is also an associated blog and podcast well worth checking out.